Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Welcome to Ithaca Mastery Learning

I'm an Ithaca parent with no particular training in education, but I have been frustrated by some aspects of public education in Ithaca. I believe that many Ithaca children receive excellent educations that prepare them to go on to successful college careers. But many children just coast through school, learning the bare minimum and never becoming engaged in what they learn.

This blog is an attempt to make a difference in how our public schools meet the needs of our students. I believe that all children can learn, and learn well, but for me kids, it's not going to happen by accident. We have to be vigilant in understanding the gaps in their skills and understanding that make future learning more difficult. We need much more feedback about the impediments to successful learning that each student encounters, and we must constantly work to overcome those obstacles. We cannot give up on students.

This blog is for parents whose children are drifting through school, unengaged and unmotivated, as well as for parents who feel that their kids who are not being sufficiently challenged in school. Our mission is to make sure that every child is living up to his or her potential, and can have confidence in their ability to achieve.

Followup posts will go into more detail about what I believe is needed to help students reach their potential. I also strongly encourage people to send me your ideas, and I will post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment